Pages

Exploring natural history one itsy bitsy spider at a time...

Exploring natural history one itsy bitsy spider at a time...

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Jack-O-Lantern Mushrooms

Key Identification Features:
Bright Orange
Gills run down the stem
White to pale yellow spore print
Grows on dead wood
Common in Fall in the East

Key Magical Features:
In the dark the gills luminesce!  Descriptions of this vary by source, but I've seen it with my own eyes!  Since I couldn't look at the above patch in the dark, I took three caps home and turned out the lights.  They didn't glow as much as I had expected, but once my eyes adjusted to the dark, the gills stuck out as if they were a white object (the first things you see when your eyes adjust to the dark).  The stem and the top of the cap were black.  It was clear to me there was some kind of interesting magical activity going on.  I look forward to investigating this further the next patch I see!


No comments: